Saturday, October 11, 2008

Being a teacher part 2


Lauren and I redesigned and rewritten the brief for the students. We added a new style and identity to the brief and other hand-outs, taking visual inspiration from the G2 supplement.

I stole these images from Lauren's blog! I hope you don't mind!


The students will be asked to write a 1000 word article about what design means to them.

I would have enjoyed such a task when I was in my first year at Design School, but I can appreciate how some may see writing as a boring and tedious challenge. So one of the main teaching objectives for me is to make the students know that writing can be fun. 

As designers we need to be critical thinkers and articulate communicators, and this doesn't come naturally to us. To form our own opinions on products or services (or anything for that matter) we first need to build a foundation of knowledge; we should immerse ourselves in the context of design by reading blogs, magazines, books, websites and journals.

This is the message I will trying to put across to the students. I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with.


No comments: